Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Ironman AZ 2010 Complete

Well I guess that I can say that I have not done a very good job with my blog this year. Many of you have reminded me throughout the year but I had a lot on my plate so no excuses but I guess at least I am closing it out right??
I am still trying to figure out where to start so I guess that I will start here - I could not have done this race without my family and friends who supported me through a lot this year. My coach,... who has challenged, inspired and believed in me (thanks Coach T)when I didn't necessarily believe in myself.
It has been a roller coaster of a year (mentally, physically and spiritually). Without all of you - I would not be here today having finished my 2nd Ironman and now moving on to sign up for number 3. I think that TJ got a little worried last night as I said that my new goal is to do 10 Ironmans - with number 10 being my final Kona adventure (it will probably take me that long!) - ugh....
I am so grateful for my training partners (especially Bay) who I was able to lean on and complain to! They helped pick me up (on those days that it is tough to go on), motivate and challenge me. Jenny, Charles, Steve and Bay (and his beautiful bride Lori) - you are amazing people and athletes. We had a lot of fun!
Ironman AZ was a much different race than Ironman WI. It was a more of a self help race than Ironman WI. WI is a well oiled machine all the way from registration through race day logistics. Transitions were self managed - which was odd to me. I was prepared for the same experience that I had WI. I had to find my own bike (WI your bike is basically wheeled to you - here the volunteers just kind of looked at you - like "WOW lady you got a lot going on" - (a woman in the rack behind me couldn't find her bike - she was yelling "someone took my bike (with some swear word descriptors that I won't include)- kind of a cluster. WI - they ran along side of you helped you (without getting in the way) - handed you your bike and you were off. Good thing I found my bike (something that I am not the best at) - I always say - look at the goofy person with the balloons tied to their bike area - when I am actually saying (in my head and never out loud) "thank goodness they are near me - look for the Scooby Doo balloon!" Bike found.... Oh and transition bags - find your own in a pile - WHAT? OK - done setting that up. There were some amazing volunteers there that day.
Swim (2.4 miles) - was flippin cold (even for this International Falls girl) - I will never complain about cold water in the pool or in the Spring and late Fall again. 60 degrees - brrrr.... Swim was kind of tough - you got bounced around a lot. You wanted to stop swimming (or what I call thrashing around) - bring your head up out of the water and yell "get off me" - but it is all part of the Ironman experience and you work through it - relax and prepare for a beating. New wetsuit (Hurricane 3 by TYR)was amazing. Fit like a glove and easy to get on (well with the help of TJ and my PAM cooking spray)!. I am known for not being able to get my wet suit off so it helps at Ironman as they have "strippers" that take it off for you as you come out of the water (big fear of mine is that the rest of my outfit is coming off with the wetsuit and there I lay on the pavement naked like a dead fish:)- So swim is done - out and back - 1:16 - (2 minutes slower than WI:( - damn. All that work put into the swim - guess I could have slept in all of those days! Will continue to focus on the swim as that appears to be my weakness. Left arm wasn't catching in the water again so the right does all of the work. BUT I am happy that I am out of the water and that I didn't drown (always a good thing).
T1 was fast as I didn't need to change - G4 uniform was on and ready to go. After running up and down the T1 bag drop area - I found 2343. The changing tent as full so I just decided to stay outside and get my stuff on. Shoes on, helmet on - saddle cream applied (yes outside with everyone to see - hey I have given birth - I have no modesty!). OK - now where do I go "Lady - you will need to get through the changing tent (again with so many women in you can't see to the other side - oh ya and it is pitch dark in there). So I pushed my way (nicely and using excuse me, excuse me, excuse me, - you get the picture)to the other side and I was out to find my bike. My girl - FUJI that was ready to go - thank you NOW Bikes and TJ:)
I was off for 112 miles to see the desert. It was a beautiful course. Mountains, tumble weed and Border Patrol??? No - in all seriousness it was pretty. 3 loops of the course. Course was flat and fast (well it should have been). Going out on the course (loop 1) was great! Wind was at my back (which I didn't really understand the magnitude of) - man I am flying with no work at all (thinking - this is going to be a great day!) - singing out loud (which I always do to make sure that I am my base not at my AT (anaerobic threshold - sugar burn). Then I got to the turn around - holy crap it was like a wind tunnel and 1000 hair dryers were all blowing against me. 50 mph head wind that just would not let up and got more intense as the day progressed. There were accidents and people getting blown off their bikes. You had to stay focused and aware. I had 3 men go down right in front of me - I went on to on coming bike traffic and the USAT motorcycle coming right for me - got out of the way just in time (scary).
Took in fuel as planned (if I don't eat another Cliff Bar for awhile that will be ok!) - I really had to dig deep to get gag that last one. Took in lots of water and Powerbar Endurance drink. No issues with vomiting on the bike this time:)!
All in all - was pleased with my bike - no flats or issues with the bike until mile 109 or so (needed to get in the granny gear to spin out any lactic acid that had built up in my legs and my bike didn't like the idea).
Oh don't forget about the weather - we had sun, rain and hail (yes that says hail) on the bike course - interesting sound as it is hitting your expensive bike and helmet! Isn't this Arizona - isn't it supposed to be sunny (with NO chance of rain) and nice?? Oh well - didn't need to take the time to apply the sunscreen!
112 miles complete - now it's time to run.
T2 was fast - kept my uniform on - threw on my race number, hat and shoes. My legs felt great (smile on my face and a spring in my step). My tummy was making some rumbles early on but nothing that I couldn't handle. I got to mile 11 or so and I was looking for a Porto Potty (which I would rather die than stop and use the rest room in a race). From then on and every mile there after I visited my friend.... the Porto Potty. Major stomach problems. I pushed through it doing my walk/shuffle/walk formula. And we are finally at mile 26.2 - the finish. Ironman #2 complete.
Not the day that I had hoped for from a performance stand point. I wanted a KONA spot so badly. They took the top 4 (congrats to Jenny and Julie!) and with my poor run I came in 39th out of 140 - ugh.. So I guess that I start to prepare for Ironman #3 and hope for a better day. Final time - 12:39 - my goal was 10:45 so I was quite off.
It is now Wed (race was Sunday) and I am still sick. I had an IV put in on Monday morning to help with all of the fluid loss. I am still dehydrated with horrible stomach cramps. I did take in a lot of water on the swim (not the best water quality) and with all of the nutrition that I took in - don't think that formula worked well for me this race.
As I look back on the year and race day - I realize that I have been given so many things to be grateful for (and relevant to reflect this Thanksgiving holiday) - my family (TJ, Torun, Kelsie, Kevin, Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, Aunts, Uncles and cousins) and friends, Coach T, the ability to do what I do, the support of my TJ who loves, supports and makes me just a better person, Mom and athlete every day and the God given will, drive and desire to succeed. The quest for balance is difficult as an athlete - you have to lean on your partner to help with the kids, house, work demands and everything else. I have said this many times - but without TJ's support - I can't do what I do. I am so grateful for him and am blessed to have him as the love of my life.
I dedicated this race to my Mom - my hero - who is fighting stage 4 breast cancer (diagnosed just this last July). Not once has she complained about having to go through chemo or the disruption that Cancer has brought to her life. She has faced it head on with grace, dignity and determination. To you Mom - race complete - you were with me all day - driving me and protecting me.
So here is to a virtual toast - Ironman 2 complete. Thank you again to each of you for your love and support. Can't wait to take you on my next Ironman adventure. Tiffany Lindstrom - you are an Ironman (never gets old to hear)!

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks for posting that! Very interesting. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on number 2 Tif! All the stuff of this year and you can add an Ironman to the list! Hope you feel better soon. After you rest up lets get out together and train this next year. Amy and I looking to get IM training group together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you ARE an Ironman. Inside and out. It's obvious where you get your grace, dignity and determination from. Congratulations on another truly incredible achievement, and for sharing your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this Tiff! I'm sorry you didn't do as well as you'd hoped but I do believe the conditions were not in your favor this time. Completing number two is still a terrific accomplishment and we're looking forward to following your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome blog, and awesome accomplishment, Tiff. I am impressed and inspired. Every time I want to skip my run in the dark, cold, MN mornings this winter I will get out of bed by asking myself WWTD?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulation Tiffany, Ironman! Training for and competing in this type of an endurance event takes tremendous dedication, courage, and passion. Honor your journey, the destination is merely a stop along the road to reflect before moving on again. Awesome Job!

    ReplyDelete